Strong and healthy teeth are very important for growing children. They help kids in getting proper nutrition and are a gateway to a beautiful smile and confident future.
As a parent, it is very important for you to have knowledge to look after your children’s dental health.
Our dentists ensure that from toddler to teenage years, your children’s teeth are well looked after and you and your kids are educated on the importance of oral hygiene, so they can have a future of beautiful smiles.
We specialize in working with families. We understand that for many adults and children alike, going to the dentist is generally not a favorite activity. That is why we ensure that we make every visit as relaxed and comfortable as possible.
Children’s first dental visit can start as early as six months, as soon as they get their first baby tooth. It is good to take them along with you to the dentist when you have your own check-ups, so they get used to the environment. Waiting for a problem to occur before bringing them to see a dentist may result in complex issues and extensive treatment. It is always best to be proactive, inculcate good habits and prevent problems.
At the first appointment our dentists’ aim is to guide you as parents in managing your child’s oral health. We ensure that child has a chance to familiarize with the dentist and the dental surgery set up. We give them a ride in dental chair and carry out an examination with mirror.
Demonstration on right brushing techniques is also provided in this visit. In saying that, every child is different and has different acceptance to dental treatment. Our dentists are cognizant of this fact and plan the treatment of each child accordingly.
Children can have different dental emergencies in a lot of situations, be it playing in playground, school or home.
If your child has chipped a tooth, you can book an appointment with our dentists. Most often teeth can be saved if a quick and timely treatment is received. We have prepared a guide for you to follow in case of an emergency. Please click here for Dental Emergency Response Flow Chart.
Apart from accidental damage, if caries is left untreated in young children, it can result in toothache, swelling and abscess. Please contact the clinic urgently for treatment of such teeth.
For anxious children we offer treatment with nitrous oxide to help them overcome their fear. So even if it is the child’s first visit to the dentist, you can be assured that he/she is in experienced hands.
As parents we all worry about our children’s teeth and to have them grow up with a bright beautiful straight smile is everyone’s goal. So naturally the worry.
We respect the parents’ and children’s esthetic expectations, so encourage parents to ask about any concerns at their regular dental visits. As a routine, our dentists are trained to assess children for need of orthodontic treatment. We understand that every child is different and will require different approaches in treatment and management.
Our dentists specialize in early intervention and interceptive orthodontics. Interceptive orthodontics is a phased treatment which utilizes growth to correct existing problems and simplify any future complications. We believe in fixing the malocclusion as soon as we find it.
Interceptive orthodontics intends to help in managing growth and help in aligning the growing jaw bones in the right position. It also helps in correcting habits like thumb sucking, tongue thrust, lip sucking, open bites, snoring, mouth breathing.
The conditions that we can help, are shown in below images:
Book a consult at our clinic if you notice any of the above mentioned conditions in your child.
Some of the methods utilized in early correction of malocclusions include the following techniques:
Rapid Palatal Expansion: Fixed customized appliances are used for the expansion of the upper jaw. The suitably expanded jaw enables correction of a cross-bite and elimination/ reduction of overcrowding of teeth. In addition to esthetic improvement it improves breathing ability in growing children.
Partial Fixed Braces: Partial Fixed braces are used for expansion of one or both jaws to create space for crowded teeth. They are also used to correct excessive protrusion, deep bites and open bites to improve jaw bone growth and decrease the chance of dental trauma due to malpositioning of teeth.
Sequential Extractions: Sequenced removal of specific baby teeth is undertaken to help in proper eruption of permanent teeth.
Space Maintainers: Fixed space maintainers are provided to children when they loose baby teeth prematurely. Space-Maintainers help in maintaining the required space at the position of tooth loss and allows room for the eruption of subsequent permanent tooth at the same position.
There are a number of other specialized appliances which are available to correct malocclusion in growing children. Our dentists can provide you with a suitable pathway and options for appliances.
It is recommended that all children between ages 7-11 years of age book in for a consult to assess if we can help them by utilizing growth to achieve a balanced facial profile in future. Also you can book in a consult at our clinic if you notice any of the above mentioned conditions in your child.
Kids love routine so it is very important to maintain a consistent and daily oral program with your child from birth.
* For 0 months to 2 years old children, parents should ensure that they wipe their child’s gums with a warm wet wash cloth, small gauze pad, or a finger cot after every feed. This removes excess food and bacteria to help prevent caries. Once, more teeth start to appear, brush them with the smallest, soft bristled toothbrush you can find. Do not use toothpaste.
* For children 2 years and over use only a pea sized dot of low fluoride containing toothpaste to brush their teeth. A range of children toothpaste and toothbrushes specific to their ages are available in local shopping centers and pharmacies.
* Children should be taught to brush twice a day. Flossing can be started once the teeth meet each other, around 2-3 years of age.
* Children need parental help with brushing until 7 years of age.
* Do not put your child to bed with a bottle filled with milk, juice or formula. The substances will sit on your child’s teeth while they are sleeping and cause decay.
* If your child falls down, and experiences trauma to their teeth, lips or tongue please bring them in as soon as possible to have one of our dentists assess and provide the necessary care.
* A balanced diet is essential for a child’s development. Feed your child a variety of healthy foods; they are beneficial for the teeth, bones and soft tissue of the mouth. Your child’s diet should include all the five major food groups – fruits, vegetables, breads/grains, milk products, and meat/poultry or fish. Avoid starchy and foods high in sugar content – they may lead to tooth decay.
Please click here to learn more about Child Dental Benefits Schedule.